Tuesday, June 7, 2011

One Day/Day One in Tel Aviv

This city is TEEMING with people--all of whom, apparently, I know. 
Ok, slight exaggeration.  But I did see five people I knew today while walking in Tel Aviv, only one of whom I'd planned to meet.  The others (one Moshava, one Brandeis, two Haifa) were quite happenstantial (new word--you like?), and made the world seem much smaller than I know it must actually be. 
I learned that bus 25 will take me WHEREVER I need to go--Rabin Square, Dizengoff Center (To do what?  להזדנגף, duh);
I taught a Russian man who owned a bakery that the word he was searching for that went with "gentlemen" was "ladies"--of which, in his eyes, I apparently was one (he made a point to say so while handing me my orange juice and kindly shaking my hand);
I saw the woman who sang "Shir LaShalom" when Rabin was killed--she's still street performing next to the Carmel Shuk and Nahalat Benyamin, same as she was four years ago when I last saw her;
I discovered that I am not as directionally challenged as I'd thought.  I made it home okay!
Tonight I ate my weight in keish and pashtida, all the while being thoroughly entertained by a senior sefaradi man who had an insane talent for keeping a straight face while making insane comments.  This was a dinner with Zeev's side of the family, and I very much enjoyed myself!
Moral of the story: great first day.
Must. Go. To. Sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment